Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Sonic 218

Last year in Sonic the Hedgehog, we did a half-year's worth of a "World Tour" storyline. For me, it was an awesome chance to really diversify my colorist skill-set and work with some palettes I maybe didn't get to use as often as I'd like. No issue demonstrates this more than last year's Sonic the Hedgehog #218.  





With the Oil Ocean Zone as our set piece - an actual stage from the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 video game - new penciler Ben Bates and comics vet Terry Austin really knocked this issue out of the park with some of the most stylish and fluid action seen in the books to date! Ben also gives me some great anime-inspired moments - like Jack Rabbit's "rage face" on the last page there - that are lots of fun to color!

But perhaps the coolest part of this issue was the awesome contrast between our lead and this back-up story, penciled by Jamal Peppers. In the lead, I got to work with alot of warm colors, and here in the back-up I got to really play with my blues! (My favorite color! It has to be, when you're coloring for two blue icons!) To this day, this issue is one of the ones I'm most proud of for how it all came together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment