Friday, December 23, 2011

Sonic the Hedgehog Cover Gallery (Part 6)

Some more recent covers for ya'!
This cover to Sonic the Hedgehog #235 was great fun to work on. First off, reuniting with the talented Tracy Yardley is always a pleasure - the man can frame a shot like nobody's business and is one of the most talented story-tellers working in comics today! We were going for a real "Indiana Jones" feel to this piece - except instead of a torch we've got Silver's groovy glow-powers!

Love the metal texture to his bracelets, but I think my favorite part of this whole thing is the painting. I've had to color paintings in the books before, but those are on such tight deadlines that you don't really... Well, you don't really get to paint them. It was a great new experiment and I think really makes this cover pop!
Another cover by Tracy, which he inked himself. For the majority of my coloring career I've worked with the legendary inker Terry Austin, who uses very thin and detailed linework. I suppose I never realized how totally comfortable I am working with Terry's style now, because the sharp contrast of Tracy's bold and defined lines really took me some time to adapt to. This cover was set to the storyline that takes place in Sonic the Hedgehog #230, so I picked my color scheme directly from those interiors. Really fun, action-packed cover to work on. I'm very honored to contribute again to next year's FCBD!

No comments:

Post a Comment