Saturday, August 13, 2011

Super Fighting Robot

So last October, Archie Comics made a huge announcement at New York ComiCon: After years of success with the Sonic the Hedgehog license - in fact, holding the World Record for the longest comic book based on a video game property - Archie was now partnering with Capcom to bring the blue bomber to comics! Mega Man would have a new monthly comic book!

So, it's not exactly the first time... Dreamwave Productions managed to knock out four fairly collectible issues before the plug got pulled, and one of them featured some gorgeous artwork by Sonic veteran Patrick "Spaz" Spaziante. And so Patrick was naturally a perfect fit to launch the book's first story arc, a faithful recreation of the first game's plot written by Ian Flynn.


'Roundabout fall of last year, my editor Paul at Archie had asked me how I'd feel about taking on coloring chores for a second monthly title. "Over the moon excited," I told 'im. As a freelancer, you're pretty constantly conscious of the need to fill your calendar with work - something that I've not had to worry about for some time now, as the folks at Archie Comics have been nothing but awesome to me. I've been given some really great opportunities. 

When Paul told me that second book would be Mega Man, I could barely contain myself. I mean, I already color for one insanely successful blue video game icon... Now TWO?? Between this and Sonic, I find I am constantly challenged and rewarded creatively with the awesome art we put together for these books, and I am very pleased-'n'-proud to be a part of that every month.

Plus, I got to color for friggin' Spaz for four issues. He was my favorite penciler on Sonic when I was growing up. You have no idea how hard it was to not fan-boy the hell out when I'd get e-Mails from him.


No comments:

Post a Comment