Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Sonic the Hedgehog Cover Gallery (part 1)

Hey guys! So I'm covering for our Sonic Universe cover colorist Ben Hunzeker right now, so I thought I'd do a quick retrospective of some of my favorite covers I got to color this last year!


My first cover coloring ever! For Sonic the Hedgehog #217 (left) and #218 (right) and a story called "Thicker Than Water," featuring a desert landscape and the Oil Ocean Zone from the video game Sonic the Hedgehog 2. I kinda' dipped my toe into cover colors with a pretty easy-to-do color scheme... Sonic's blue, so he pops off re-e-e-al well from oranges/yellows. Still though, these are a couple of my absolute faves.
Entering my "dark period." Almost every cover I colored from here to #224 was really heavy on dark and dreary blues. It matched the tone of those stories, at least... This one was pretty interesting... As you can see, I've lost the raw artwork for this so this is actually what went to solicits and print, touched up by the wonderfuly talented in-house guys at Archie.

I colored this one while I was away at a convention - so every night I'd come back up to the hotel room and render a character/BG piece... The original composition was a little off, so when it was done we actually rotated it backwards a bit, which helped smooth out the perspective alot. The lightning was SO much fun to render, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment